BA, University of Washington
JD, Willamette College of Law, cum laude
He is a member of several professional organizations, including:
American College of Trial Lawyers (Fellow)
Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
Washington Health Care Risk Management Society (Past President)
Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys
Defense Research Institute
Washington State and Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Associations
United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
Defense Research Institute
American Society for Healthcare Risk Management
United States District Court, Western District of Washington
“I grew up a competitive tennis player and serious musician. I am also the son of a doctor. My unique background helps me bring that competitive drive and performance discipline into every case and every courtroom.”
HONORS AND AWARDS
American College of Trial Lawyers, an invitation only organization for trial attorneys after a thorough vetting process.
Member, American Board of Trial Advocates, an invitation only organization for experienced civil trial attorneys
Member, America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators
AVVO Rating: 10.0 (highest possible rating)
Selected as Rising Star in Law & Politics Magazine multiple years
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AND SUCCESS
For 22 years, senior partner Phil deMaine has been defending professional liability claims and licensing actions against healthcare institutions and doctors. Always competitive, always compassionate, Phil understands the legal and emotional needs of his clients during what is a difficult and deeply personal juncture in their professional lives.
Whether a case settles, goes to trial or is outright dismissed, Phil’s goal is the same—to practice with empathy and advocacy to achieve the best possible results for his clients.
HIGHLY RATED, WELL REGARDED
Phil is highly regarded by fellow attorneys. He is a frequent lecturer to attorneys and healthcare providers on issues related to professional liability claims.
- Defense verdict in favor of nephrologist, hospitalist, and health care entity in a medical malpractice lawsuit alleging wrongful death in a hospital from negligent treatment following congestive heart failure.
- Defense verdict on behalf of dentist in a malpractice lawsuit alleging negligent use of anesthetic causing permanent facial nerve injury.
- Defense verdict on behalf of general surgeon in a medical malpractice lawsuit alleging failure to timely diagnose and intervene in post-operative hematoma following anterior cervical discectomy and fusion surgery, resulting in an occluded airway and permanent brain injury and visual deficits.
- Defense verdict on behalf of two nurse midwives in a medical malpractice lawsuit alleging negligent communication leading to unwanted vaginal exam by male doctor, resulting in severe PTSD and other psychological injury.
- Defense verdict in favor of dentist in a malpractice lawsuit alleging failure to appropriately treat and refer patient to hospital for treatment resulting in life-threatening infection.
- Nominal settlement after one week of trial on behalf of general surgeon in a medical malpractice lawsuit alleging negligent hernia surgery resulting in sepsis, temporary multisystem organ failure, extended hospitalization, permanent cognitive and physical injury.
- Defense verdict on behalf of dentist in a malpractice lawsuit alleging negligent prescription of ibuprofen resulting in excessive gastrointestinal bleed and extended hospitalization.
- Defense verdict on behalf of orthopedic surgeon in a medical malpractice lawsuit alleging failure to diagnose and treat compartment syndrome resulting in foot drop and permanent neurological injury.
- Defense verdict on behalf of cardiologist in a medical malpractice lawsuit alleging wrongful death from failure to diagnose and treat coronary artery syndrome.
- Defense verdict on behalf of dentist in a malpractice lawsuit alleging negligent dental treatment resulting in occlusion deficiency, TMD, need for future surgery.
- Defense verdict on behalf of homeowner in a premises liability lawsuit alleging negligent equipment leading to fall from ladder resulting in heel fracture, permanent disability.
- Defense verdict on behalf of dentist in a malpractice lawsuit alleging failure to prescribe prophylactic antibiotics during extraction of third molar resulting in severe infection, emergent intubation and extensive hospitalization.